Imagine that you want to add a deck to your home. You have two options. You can either call in a professional deck building company or, if you are handy with tools, you can build it yourself. What makes you choose between DIY (doing it yourself) or the DFY (done for you) option? Factors such as cost, time, skill, and availability influence how the deck gets built.
Each day you are given tasks in your business that you can either do yourself or outsource to another company. Some business owners like to try to DIY every single task. This can be bad for business if your team does not have the skills required to complete every task to a professional level. Other business owners do not think twice about paying other companies to do the job for them. While this can take a load off their plate, it also takes a huge chunk from their budget.
The resolution to this issue is to find the right balance between DIY and DFY in your business. It can be difficult to discern which to choose since there is no one-size-fits-all option. To help you decide which option is right for your business, ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you have the skills and talents required to complete the task?
- Do you have the knowledge needed to complete the task?
- Do you have the staff in place to complete the task?
- Can you do the task correctly the first time around?
If you said yes to the above then choose the DIY option. If you said no…
- Who can you hire for the job?
- Do they have good customer reviews?
- Do they fit the style of your business?
- Can you afford to hire their services?
- Will they complete the job correctly the first time?
If you answered yes to the above questions then you should choose the DFY option. Asking these questions will help you know when to save money by DIY and when to spend money on a professional job.